James is both sculptor and painter, who has lived in the Cotswolds for over twenty five years, drawn there by the rich limestone of the area - which varies from the honey coloured tones of the north to the pearly white of the south - here, inspired by the direct carving school of Constantin Brancusi, he began to develop his own individual style of sculpting, in which he seeks to abstract and harmonise the human figure into it's essential blocks of form and interlocking shapes.
Alongside this patient toil of the stone carver James also casts various resin, plaster and metal sculptures, usually modelling the original in clay, and paints both figurative and abstract oils on canvas.
Much of his work is from private commissions, while he also teaches sculpture from his studio and exhibits widely.
Recent Exhibitions :
- Hidcote National Trust Garden
- "Fresh Air", Quenington
- "Out of Nature", Newport House, Herefordshire
- Lion Street Gallery, Hay-on-Wye
- Kew Gardens
- Kingham Lodge Sculpture Garden
- Canwood Farm Sculpture Garden
- Swell Gallery, Stow on the Wold, with the Cotswold 5
- Holland House, Worc
- Broadway Modern Gallery, Worc
- Showborough House Sculpture Garden, Worc
- D'Arcy Gallery, Cheltenham
- Compton Cassey Gallery
- College Farm Studios, Minster Lovell
- Shieldbrook House Sculpture Garden
For further examples of James' work please view the galleries